Hasbro’s fantasy card game “Magic : The Gathering” is about to get the movie treatment, courtesy “X-Men” scribe Simon Kinberg.
20th Century Fox have acquired the screen rights, and plan to launch a massive franchise on the scale of the “Harry Potter” and “Lord of the Rings” series, according to The Hollywood Reporter.
Kinberg, currently working on Fox’s “X-Men” franchise and “Fantastic Four” reboot, will produce and oversee the development of the movie franchise with Hasbro.
Magic involves cards with a host of wizards and creatures, weapons and spells that players use to defeat each other. Cards vary in strength, and some are rarer than others. (The rare ones also became hugely valuable.)
The game swept comic book shops and schools in the 1990s, and tournaments were organized. The popularity of the game is such that tournaments are now held worldwide.
“Magic : The Gathering” is one of several Hasbro properties in line for big screen film adaptations.
- Fast & Furious 7 - March 31, 2015
- The Punisher returns for Black Sails - March 25, 2015
- My Name is Earl alum joins Mom - March 14, 2015
- Insurgent track listing - March 3, 2015
- Hawke saddles up for The Magnificent Seven - March 3, 2015
- New Frankenstein series finds it’s monster - March 3, 2015
- From Dusk Till Dawn return date; directors announced - March 3, 2015
- Weather report for Florida : Sharknado! - February 20, 2015
- AMC release Mad Men conclusion teaser - February 20, 2015
- Selma - February 8, 2015