While most cried for a fallen great, others simply wondered what would we become of some of the unfinished films Philip Seymour Hoffman had been working on at the time of his death on Sunday.
Not surprisingly – considering the colossal fan base and reports that said the actor still had a week of filming to do on the final film in the series – it was ‘Hunger Games’ fans who were left asking ‘what’s going to happen with Mockingjay Part 2′?’
Though the actor was said to have finished most of his work on the second-half of the “Hunger Games” wrap-up, seems Hoffman was needed for one more “crucial” scene. As a consequence, the scene will have to be tweaked… or something.
A spokesperson for Lionsgate refuses to say which crucial scene was still to be shot.
“Why would I want to give people something to look for two years from now?”, the exec tells The Hollywood Reporter.
Very true. It’d be off-putting, knowing which scene Hoffman wasn’t there for – we’d all be looking for their “fix”.
Rather than worry about the fix-up issue on their hands, Lionsgate promise a great Hoffman performance in both “Mockingjay” movies. Fans would have to agree that that’s what matters.
“Obviously, we’re going to have a couple of work-around issues but the movie will be creatively whole. His performances in both [remaining] movies will be up to the best of his craft. We feel it will be a good tribute to him.”
An insider tells the trade that it’s possible the scene will be completed using CGI.
“They seem to have plans that don’t seem very complicated” to complete both pictures without Hoffman. “You can do digital things, you can have conversations where you’re not focusing on him but the people he’s talking to.”
Universal has a similar issue on their hands with “Fast & Furious 7”; granted, they’ve had to rewrite a lot of their film’s script, following the death of star Paul Walker, who had a good portion of the film still to shoot.