“Veronica Mars” the feature film based on the beloved and acclaimed television series of the same name, will be released digitally on March 14. The 2013 Kickstarter sensation from writer and director Rob Thomas will be released digitally from Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Australia, the same day as the film is released in cinemas in the US. “Veronica Mars” will be available for digital purchase and rental to watch anywhere in high definition and standard definition from select digital retailers. For those Australian fans looking for a big screen Veronica Mars experience, a number of fan screenings are planned, details of which will be announced shortly.
The “Veronica Mars” movie was made possible by a record-breaking Kickstarter campaign driven by fans of the television show, which ran from 2004 – 2007. Launched by series creator Thomas and series star Kristen Bell, the Kickstarter campaign unleashed an unprecedented level of fan enthusiasm and support, reaching the project goal of $2 million in just 10 hours. At the end of the 31-day campaign, fans contributed $5.7 million, making Veronica Mars the number one funded project in the film category and the third-highest funded project in Kickstarter history. It is the most widely supported Kickstarter campaign to date with more than 91,000 backers worldwide, who have remained engaged throughout production with frequent behind-the-scenes updates from Thomas and the film’s cast and crew.
Said Thomas, “I was totally taken off guard by the amount of international support we received during out Kickstarter drive. A movie of this scope wouldn’t have been possible without our international fans. I’m incredibly excited that fans around the world will be able to see the movie on the same day that it’s released here in the U.S.”
Fans of the show and the upcoming film can follow its progress, see cast and filmmaker diaries, exclusive content and release information by following the film’s social media presence, including:
- Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/TheVeronicaMarsMovie)
- Twitter (http://twitter.com/VeronicaMars)
- Instagram http://www.instagram.com/TheVeronicaMarsMovie)
- YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/veronicamarsmovie)
- Pinterest (http://pinterest.com/theveronicamars/)
- Tumblr (http://tumblr.com/OfficialVeronicaMars)
Fans can also get information about the film by following Rob Thomas on Twitter at @RobThomas.
Written and directed by series creator Thomas, “Veronica Mars” stars original show cast members Kristen Bell (“House of Lies,” “Forgetting Sarah Marshall”), Jason Dohring (“The Ringer”), Chris Lowell (“The Help,” “Up in the Air”), Ryan Hansen (“G.I. Joe: Retaliation”), Krysten Ritter (“Don’t Trust the B—- in Apartment 23”), Percy Daggs III (“Detention”), Tina Majorino (“True Blood,” “Grey’s Anatomy”), Francis Capra (“Blood and Bone”), Ken Marino (“Party Down,” “Burning Love”) and Enrico Colantoni (“Just Shoot Me”).
The screenplay for “Veronica Mars” is written by Thomas & Diane Ruggiero from a story by Thomas. The film is produced by Thomas, Dan Etheridge and Danielle Stokdyk. Joel Silver, Kristen Bell and Jennifer Hinkey are serving as executive producers.
“Veronica Mars” will be released on Blu-ray and DVD later in the year.
- Insurgent track listing - March 3, 2015
- Hawke saddles up for The Magnificent Seven - March 3, 2015
- New Frankenstein series finds it’s monster - March 3, 2015
- From Dusk Till Dawn return date; directors announced - March 3, 2015
- Weather report for Florida : Sharknado! - February 20, 2015
- AMC release Mad Men conclusion teaser - February 20, 2015
- Selma - February 8, 2015
- Mann, Baker pick Olive - January 27, 2015
- Constantine coming to the big screen - January 25, 2015
- Will & Grace, Office vets join new Rob Lowe sitcom - January 22, 2015