Ah, the ’80s – only then could we’ve been treated to an Academy Awards that combined Chevy Chase, RoboCop and John Wayne (and Drew Barrymore walking down the red carpet with Corey Feldman, pictured above).
The Reagan-era ‘Academy Awards’ were definitely a different beast to what they’ve become today; back then, they were funnier, more spontaneous, and though they’ve always been slightly political and squeaky-clean, the machine wasn’t as well-greased back then – in a good way.
Here are 10 fun, classic, or memorable moments from the Academy Awards back when Charlie Sheen was a movie star.
1. Chevy Chase hosting the Oscars in 1987. Ouch!
2. Ray Parker Jr performing “Ghostbusters” at the Oscars; did the producers even watch the movie before choreographing this sequence!?
3. Paul Hogan goes “off the boil” at the Oscars.
4. Beautiful moment when Dustin Hoffman won Best Actor for “Rainman”.
5. Michael Douglas winning Best Actor for his first go-round as Gordon Gecko in “Wall Street”.
6. Jessica Tandy winning Best Actress for “Driving Miss Daisy”; she was the oldest Oscar Winner.
7. There are no words for this one.
8. Bewdfiful stuff.
9. Anyone else disappointed Eddie didn’t end up hosting the Oscars a couple of years ago?
10. Dustin Hoffman and Tom Cruise announce Jodie Foster as Best Actress for “The Accused”.
- Lively, Clarke set for Forster’s All I See is You - February 27, 2015
- Sands files Minority Report - February 27, 2015
- Blomkamp’s statement on Alien plans misconstrued - February 27, 2015
- Routh gets Lost, West in the Money - February 26, 2015
- Billy Lynn nabs Alwyn, eyes Hedlund - February 26, 2015
- Spidey could remain Peter Parker after all - February 26, 2015
- Virginia Madsen to experience Joy - February 26, 2015
- Voges, Zombie reunite for 31 - February 26, 2015
- Schwarzenegger back for Terminator 6 - February 26, 2015
- When does the next Star Wars trailer hit? - February 26, 2015
Against the Current - the band, not adventures in dangerous swimming 101
Zedd - If our love is tragedy, why are you my remedy? (Well, answer my question!)
Arrow (Okay, Felicity from Arrow!)
Chrissy Costanza (cat eyes and buttery lyrics!)
Girls (TV) (Okay, Allison Williams!)
Movies - especially when they play in the dark.
Twin Peaks (TV)
Friends (TV) (It had me at "No way are you cool enough to pull Clint"; damn straight, Chandler!)
Traveling - preferably where water is, so I can splash someone!
Star Wars trilogy - no, the other one, fella!
Alex G - far more talented than her younger brother Alex H
Cameron Crowe movies - Say Anything..., Jerry Maguire, Almost Famous
The sign 'Free Wi-Fi'.
Reenacting dance/song scenes from "Grease" with my little girl (hey! Wait till you see my 'Summer Lovin'! - don't judge)
Die Hard - 40 stories of Sheer Adventure!
Alex Goot & Friends (his enemies aren't half as talented!)
Cooking up a nice dish and sitting in the entertainment area, on a cool night, basking in it's greatness.
Inflatable kids pools full of Vodka Lime Crush.
Acidic Email from angry, over passionate teenagers after I trash something "Twilight"-related on the site. Sparkle elsewhere.
My baby girl's big, caring heart.