It can be argued the biggest TV shows of the last few years was AMC’s ”Breaking Bad”. So it’s fairly telling that the planned spinoff Better Caul Saul is going to be released on Netflix, ”House of Cards”-style.
Under the old rules, VOD was the equivalent of straight to video, where films went to die and many a B-grade action star made a career.
Today, with ”House of Cards” and ”Orange is the New Black” winning Emmys, streaming online channels are the place to release to send a message that you’re hip to the new groove.
In further evidence of the evolution of the form, Hulu announced in late 2013 that for the first time, roughly half of the 5 million subscribers use the service on a handheld device like a smartphone or tablet.
Why is that big news? Hulu was born on (and of) the PC. It was a website deigned to deliver TV content online, and it’s broken banks to become a service that’s being ported anywhere its subscribers want in greater numbers than it was ever a website.
YouTube is also set to join the other platforms-turned-producers with YouTube Nation, a weekly program rounding up all the best stuff on the video-sharing site.
Coming up and out now on VOD; ”Almost Human”, a slasher with a disappearance theme. Think Xtro meets Halloween (Buy it here).
Also ”Lust for Love”, a romantic comedy where boys meets girl, blows it, shrinks back for girl to get more practice with girls and tries to win girl again.
It’s also been a long time since we’ve seen 80s teen heartthrob and Brat Packer Judd Nelson, but he lends support to drug smuggling thriller ”Down and Dangerous”.
- Kingsman : The Secret Service - January 26, 2015
- Blackhat - January 26, 2015
- ‘Blackhat’ Review : More like Craphat - January 26, 2015
- ‘Kingsman : The Secret Service’ Review : James Bond meets Comic Con - January 25, 2015
- ‘Taken 3′ Review : Tireder than Santa Claus - January 9, 2015
- Taken 3 - January 9, 2015
- VOD Views – January 2, 2015 - January 2, 2015
- American Sniper - December 29, 2014
- The Interview - December 25, 2014
- Inherent Vice - December 24, 2014