Thanks to Accent, Moviehole has 5 DVD copies of “Computer Chess” to Giveaway.
In 1980 a group of software programmers converge on a rundown hotel in Middle America for a weekend in which they will stage the ultimate battle between man and machine. The challenge is to program computer software to take on and defeat a human in chess. Meanwhile another group of new age types has descended on the hotel at the same time for primal therapy and group relations, in the case of one zealous hippy couple. Government agents seem to be monitoring the findings of the software designers on the chance they stumble upon a cutting edge breakthrough. A litter of stray cats wander around the corridors while the more ambitious jostle for recognition among their peers. Shot on video using Sony portapaks from the era, Computer Chess recreates a period of ridiculous fashions, facial hair and haircuts in the ultimate search and deadpan meditation on artificial intelligence by contrasting the future from the prism of the not so distant past.
How to Win : Email us your name, address and the answer to this question “What was the name of the ‘computer’ in “Electric Dreams” (1984)?”
Entries Close March 30
- Magnolia picks up Experimenter; New image released - March 27, 2015
- Taylor-Johnson quits Fifty Shades franchise - March 26, 2015
- X-Men : Apocalypse casts Jubilee; cameos rumoured - March 26, 2015
- Trailer : Maggie - March 26, 2015
- Ben Mendelsohn may star in a Star Wars movie - March 26, 2015
- B v S : Luthor picture; story details - March 26, 2015
- Star Trek 3 : Elba to play villain; Pegg talks scripting - March 26, 2015
- Peter Craig aboard Lawrence’s Addario biopic - March 26, 2015
- Spielberg directing Ernie Cline’s Ready Player One - March 26, 2015
- Jason Segel directing a Lego movie!? - March 26, 2015
Against the Current - the band, not adventures in dangerous swimming 101
Zedd - If our love is tragedy, why are you my remedy? (Well, answer my question!)
Arrow (Okay, Felicity from Arrow!)
Chrissy Costanza (cat eyes and buttery lyrics!)
Girls (TV) (Okay, Allison Williams!)
Movies - especially when they play in the dark.
Twin Peaks (TV)
Friends (TV) (It had me at "No way are you cool enough to pull Clint"; damn straight, Chandler!)
Traveling - preferably where water is, so I can splash someone!
Star Wars trilogy - no, the other one, fella!
Alex G - far more talented than her younger brother Alex H
Cameron Crowe movies - Say Anything..., Jerry Maguire, Almost Famous
The sign 'Free Wi-Fi'.
Reenacting dance/song scenes from "Grease" with my little girl (hey! Wait till you see my 'Summer Lovin'! - don't judge)
Die Hard - 40 stories of Sheer Adventure!
Alex Goot & Friends (his enemies aren't half as talented!)
Cooking up a nice dish and sitting in the entertainment area, on a cool night, basking in it's greatness.
Inflatable kids pools full of Vodka Lime Crush.
Acidic Email from angry, over passionate teenagers after I trash something "Twilight"-related on the site. Sparkle elsewhere.
My baby girl's big, caring heart.