At least three standalone “Star Wars” spin-off movies are in the works, in addition to the upcoming trilogy, The Walt Disney Company CEO Bob Iger confirmed today during a Q2 Fiscal 2014 Earnings Conference Call.
These new films are said to be origin stories focusing on some of the saga’s most popular characters, with Yoda, Han Solo and Boba Fett all rumoured as subjects. The films would be released in alternate years to the trilogy – suggesting we’ll see one in 2016, then another in 2018 and 2019.
Lawrence Kasdan, also involved in the scripting of next year’s “Star Wars Episode VII”, and Simon Kinberg (“X-Men”) are involved in a writing capacity on the spin-off projects.
- Merry Christmas Taken fans! - December 17, 2014
- Does Warner have an Aquaman director? - December 15, 2014
- Miami Vice back on the job! - December 15, 2014
- Ryan Gosling for Ghostbusters? - December 15, 2014
- More of Sony’s Spidey plans leak - December 15, 2014
- Old Skywalker talks Star Wars - December 15, 2014
- Kong prequel in 2017, Great Wall movie in 2016 - December 13, 2014
- American Pie duo remaking Japanese horror film - December 13, 2014
- Jennifer Lawrence as a Ghostbuster!? - December 12, 2014
- Sasha Mitchell reprising Kickboxer role - December 12, 2014