A mostly-successful adaptation of the book – which many have compared to greats like ”The Diary of Anne Frank” and ”Slaughterhouse-Five” – of the same name.
What Brian Percival’s film lacks in punch, it makes up for in weighty performances, breathtaking cinematography, and an effective – though tad heavy-handed – narrative.
For the uninitiated, “Book Thief” tells the story of Liesel Meminger, beginning when she is nine years old and wrestling with death of her brother and separation from her mother. She has been adopted by foster parents Hans and Rosa Hubermann, and forced to relocate with them to their home in Molching. When the young girl starts school, she finds herself immediately teased for not being able to read. Knowing it’s time she learnt, Liesel has Hans teach her during midnight lessons in the basement. Soon, new friends are made, and all is well for Meminger… until the Nazi party’s presence in the city increases.
While Sophie Nelisse makes for a terrific Liesel, it’s Australia’s Geoffrey Rush who steals the show as Hans.
DVD : Extras include deleted scenes, interviews, and a featurette that chronicles the making of the movie.
- Captain America : Civil War Character Reveal? - January 26, 2015
- Zachary Quinto talks Heroes Reborn - January 26, 2015
- The Strangers sequel finally going ahead? - January 26, 2015
- Scodelario confirmed for Pirates of the Caribbean 5 - January 26, 2015
- Author offers Waiting for Exhale 2 update - January 26, 2015
- Jetsons animated movie in the works - January 24, 2015
- New poster for Tom Hardy thrilller Child 44 - January 22, 2015
- Rob Lowe playing man of the cloth in new TV series - January 21, 2015
- The Interview hits Netflix this weekend - January 21, 2015
- Stuart Beattie writing high Voltage project - January 21, 2015
Against the Current - the band, not adventures in dangerous swimming 101
Zedd - If our love is tragedy, why are you my remedy? (Well, answer my question!)
Arrow (Okay, Felicity from Arrow!)
Chrissy Costanza (cat eyes and buttery lyrics!)
Girls (TV) (Okay, Allison Williams!)
Movies - especially when they play in the dark.
Twin Peaks (TV)
Friends (TV) (It had me at "No way are you cool enough to pull Clint"; damn straight, Chandler!)
Traveling - preferably where water is, so I can splash someone!
Star Wars trilogy - no, the other one, fella!
Alex G - far more talented than her younger brother Alex H
Cameron Crowe movies - Say Anything..., Jerry Maguire, Almost Famous
The sign 'Free Wi-Fi'.
Reenacting dance/song scenes from "Grease" with my little girl (hey! Wait till you see my 'Summer Lovin'! - don't judge)
Die Hard - 40 stories of Sheer Adventure!
Alex Goot & Friends (his enemies aren't half as talented!)
Cooking up a nice dish and sitting in the entertainment area, on a cool night, basking in it's greatness.
Inflatable kids pools full of Vodka Lime Crush.
Acidic Email from angry, over passionate teenagers after I trash something "Twilight"-related on the site. Sparkle elsewhere.
My baby girl's big, caring heart.