Political activists and performance artists Pussy Riot are in talks to star in the already-controversial “Spring Breakers” sequel.
The film, which is going ahead without the involvement of “Spring Breakers” director Harmony Korine and star James Franco, is coming together quickly – despite the ill-speak showered on it by Franco earlier in the week.
Variety says Pussy Riot (a.k.a. Nadezhda “Nadya” Tolokonnikova and Maria “Masha” Alyokhina) are coming to Cannes this week to meet with “Spring Breakers: Second Coming” director Jonas Akerlund and producers Chris and Roberta Hanley, and Jordan Gertner to talk about getting involved.
“Our director is coming in especially to meet Nadya and Maria to discuss being in the movie,” Chris Hanley told Variety. “The fiction of ‘Spring Breakers’ never met with the reality of Pussy Riots — until now.”
“Since there are some suggestions in the reporting on ‘Second Coming’ that it is a ‘weak’ or ‘lame’ sequel, the new Irvine Welsh screenplay has the strongest feminine voice of the ‘Spring Breakers’ characters so far. And Nadya and Maria of Pussy Riot are a powerful new voice of world feminism. We are all into radical innovations.”
Another source tells the trade that Pussy Riot are not yet a lock to attend the meeting.
- Insurgent track listing - March 3, 2015
- Hawke saddles up for The Magnificent Seven - March 3, 2015
- New Frankenstein series finds it’s monster - March 3, 2015
- From Dusk Till Dawn return date; directors announced - March 3, 2015
- Weather report for Florida : Sharknado! - February 20, 2015
- AMC release Mad Men conclusion teaser - February 20, 2015
- Selma - February 8, 2015
- Mann, Baker pick Olive - January 27, 2015
- Constantine coming to the big screen - January 25, 2015
- Will & Grace, Office vets join new Rob Lowe sitcom - January 22, 2015