Political activists and performance artists Pussy Riot are in talks to star in the already-controversial “Spring Breakers” sequel.
The film, which is going ahead without the involvement of “Spring Breakers” director Harmony Korine and star James Franco, is coming together quickly – despite the ill-speak showered on it by Franco earlier in the week.
Variety says Pussy Riot (a.k.a. Nadezhda “Nadya” Tolokonnikova and Maria “Masha” Alyokhina) are coming to Cannes this week to meet with “Spring Breakers: Second Coming” director Jonas Akerlund and producers Chris and Roberta Hanley, and Jordan Gertner to talk about getting involved.
“Our director is coming in especially to meet Nadya and Maria to discuss being in the movie,” Chris Hanley told Variety. “The fiction of ‘Spring Breakers’ never met with the reality of Pussy Riots — until now.”
“Since there are some suggestions in the reporting on ‘Second Coming’ that it is a ‘weak’ or ‘lame’ sequel, the new Irvine Welsh screenplay has the strongest feminine voice of the ‘Spring Breakers’ characters so far. And Nadya and Maria of Pussy Riot are a powerful new voice of world feminism. We are all into radical innovations.”
Another source tells the trade that Pussy Riot are not yet a lock to attend the meeting.
- Trailer : Club Life - April 1, 2015
- Trailer : Unfreedom - April 1, 2015
- Fast & Furious 7 - March 31, 2015
- The Punisher returns for Black Sails - March 25, 2015
- My Name is Earl alum joins Mom - March 14, 2015
- Insurgent track listing - March 3, 2015
- Hawke saddles up for The Magnificent Seven - March 3, 2015
- New Frankenstein series finds it’s monster - March 3, 2015
- From Dusk Till Dawn return date; directors announced - March 3, 2015
- Weather report for Florida : Sharknado! - February 20, 2015