Political activists and performance artists Pussy Riot are in talks to star in the already-controversial “Spring Breakers” sequel.
The film, which is going ahead without the involvement of “Spring Breakers” director Harmony Korine and star James Franco, is coming together quickly – despite the ill-speak showered on it by Franco earlier in the week.
Variety says Pussy Riot (a.k.a. Nadezhda “Nadya” Tolokonnikova and Maria “Masha” Alyokhina) are coming to Cannes this week to meet with “Spring Breakers: Second Coming” director Jonas Akerlund and producers Chris and Roberta Hanley, and Jordan Gertner to talk about getting involved.
“Our director is coming in especially to meet Nadya and Maria to discuss being in the movie,” Chris Hanley told Variety. “The fiction of ‘Spring Breakers’ never met with the reality of Pussy Riots — until now.”
“Since there are some suggestions in the reporting on ‘Second Coming’ that it is a ‘weak’ or ‘lame’ sequel, the new Irvine Welsh screenplay has the strongest feminine voice of the ‘Spring Breakers’ characters so far. And Nadya and Maria of Pussy Riot are a powerful new voice of world feminism. We are all into radical innovations.”
Another source tells the trade that Pussy Riot are not yet a lock to attend the meeting.
- Bryan Singer announced X-Men : Days of Future Past – Rogue Cut - May 6, 2015
- RoboCop series in the works - May 5, 2015
- Louis C.K thinks he’s a Cop - May 5, 2015
- Lionsgate remaking Cube - May 1, 2015
- New Terminator : Genisys poster gives away a big spoiler! - May 1, 2015
- Simmons, Hirsch starring in The Runaway - May 1, 2015
- New Spectre video blog, stills - May 1, 2015
- Another solid science-fiction series cancelled - May 1, 2015
- Binge watch Duchovny’s Aquarius! - May 1, 2015
- Damien switches networks - May 1, 2015