Robert Redford is in talks to play evangelical minister Oral Roberts in a new Jonathan Demme directed film, “Come Sunday”.
Jeffrey Wright (“The Hunger Games : Catching Fire”) is also in talks.
The Endgame Entertainment (“Looper”) financed film would chronicle “the true story of Carlton Pearson, a renowned evangelical minister in Tulsa, Okla., who stirs up controversy with his revelation that there is no hell. He loses everything and must rebuild his church and his family and find his own personal faith. Jeffrey Wright (Quantum of Solace) is in talks to take on the starring role of Pearson”, says The Hollywood Reporter.
Roberts, the character Redford would play, was an early pioneer of TV evangelism; he was Pearson’s mentor. The role would be of a supporting nature – a’la “Captain America : The Winter Soldier” – for Redford.
“Come Sunday” has been bubbling away for years, but was resurrected thanks to Demme’s (“Philadelphia”) interest.
“All Good Things” writer Marcus Hinchey wrote the screenplay for the film, which was originally titled “Heretics”.
A Spring 2015 start is being eyed.
- Merry Christmas Taken fans! - December 17, 2014
- Does Warner have an Aquaman director? - December 15, 2014
- Miami Vice back on the job! - December 15, 2014
- Ryan Gosling for Ghostbusters? - December 15, 2014
- More of Sony’s Spidey plans leak - December 15, 2014
- Old Skywalker talks Star Wars - December 15, 2014
- Kong prequel in 2017, Great Wall movie in 2016 - December 13, 2014
- American Pie duo remaking Japanese horror film - December 13, 2014
- Jennifer Lawrence as a Ghostbuster!? - December 12, 2014
- Sasha Mitchell reprising Kickboxer role - December 12, 2014