Robert Redford is in talks to play evangelical minister Oral Roberts in a new Jonathan Demme directed film, “Come Sunday”.
Jeffrey Wright (“The Hunger Games : Catching Fire”) is also in talks.
The Endgame Entertainment (“Looper”) financed film would chronicle “the true story of Carlton Pearson, a renowned evangelical minister in Tulsa, Okla., who stirs up controversy with his revelation that there is no hell. He loses everything and must rebuild his church and his family and find his own personal faith. Jeffrey Wright (Quantum of Solace) is in talks to take on the starring role of Pearson”, says The Hollywood Reporter.
Roberts, the character Redford would play, was an early pioneer of TV evangelism; he was Pearson’s mentor. The role would be of a supporting nature – a’la “Captain America : The Winter Soldier” – for Redford.
“Come Sunday” has been bubbling away for years, but was resurrected thanks to Demme’s (“Philadelphia”) interest.
“All Good Things” writer Marcus Hinchey wrote the screenplay for the film, which was originally titled “Heretics”.
A Spring 2015 start is being eyed.
- Mann, Baker pick Olive - January 27, 2015
- Constantine coming to the big screen - January 25, 2015
- Will & Grace, Office vets join new Rob Lowe sitcom - January 22, 2015
- The Interview streaming on Crackle, too! - January 22, 2015
- Deadwood fave saddles up for Ray Donovan stint - January 22, 2015
- The Gambler - January 21, 2015
- Julianne Hough to play Sandy in Grease - January 19, 2015
- Xena, Warrior Princess moving to Salem - January 15, 2015
- New Gunman poster! - January 15, 2015
- Trailer : The Wrecking Crew - January 15, 2015