There’s a rumour ablaze in San Diego that Benedict Cumberbatch might be playing the title character in director Scott Derrickson’s “Doctor Strange” for Marvel.
Cumberbatch is here at the Con – his first time, surprisingly enough – to promote “The Penguins of Madagascar”, which features his voice, but all talk is on whether or not Marvel might announce the “Sherlock” star as their Steven Strange this weekend.
MTV cornered Cumberbatch and asked him about the rumours. While the actor suggests he has had talks about the role, it doesn’t sound like he’s anywhere near a lock – if only because there’s a scheduling conflict.
“As far as I’m aware, even if that was the case, it couldn’t work out because I’m doing a little play called Hamlet in London. So I don’t think I could even if that was in the cards. It sounds like a fantastic project. It’s a shame if I miss out, but who knows?”
Strange that he would know the filming dates of the movie, right? That’s gotta mean he’s had talks with Marvel and/or Derrickson, yes?
“I couldn’t possibly comment.”
“Doctor Strange” will be among the film’s promoted by Marvel during their presentation in Hall H on Saturday; we’ll have to wait until then to find out whether Cumberbatch’s aforesaid responses are truths.
- The Punisher returns for Black Sails - March 25, 2015
- My Name is Earl alum joins Mom - March 14, 2015
- Insurgent track listing - March 3, 2015
- Hawke saddles up for The Magnificent Seven - March 3, 2015
- New Frankenstein series finds it’s monster - March 3, 2015
- From Dusk Till Dawn return date; directors announced - March 3, 2015
- Weather report for Florida : Sharknado! - February 20, 2015
- AMC release Mad Men conclusion teaser - February 20, 2015
- Selma - February 8, 2015
- Mann, Baker pick Olive - January 27, 2015