There’s a rumour ablaze in San Diego that Benedict Cumberbatch might be playing the title character in director Scott Derrickson’s “Doctor Strange” for Marvel.
Cumberbatch is here at the Con – his first time, surprisingly enough – to promote “The Penguins of Madagascar”, which features his voice, but all talk is on whether or not Marvel might announce the “Sherlock” star as their Steven Strange this weekend.
MTV cornered Cumberbatch and asked him about the rumours. While the actor suggests he has had talks about the role, it doesn’t sound like he’s anywhere near a lock – if only because there’s a scheduling conflict.
“As far as I’m aware, even if that was the case, it couldn’t work out because I’m doing a little play called Hamlet in London. So I don’t think I could even if that was in the cards. It sounds like a fantastic project. It’s a shame if I miss out, but who knows?”
Strange that he would know the filming dates of the movie, right? That’s gotta mean he’s had talks with Marvel and/or Derrickson, yes?
“I couldn’t possibly comment.”
“Doctor Strange” will be among the film’s promoted by Marvel during their presentation in Hall H on Saturday; we’ll have to wait until then to find out whether Cumberbatch’s aforesaid responses are truths.
- Merry Christmas Taken fans! - December 17, 2014
- Does Warner have an Aquaman director? - December 15, 2014
- Miami Vice back on the job! - December 15, 2014
- Ryan Gosling for Ghostbusters? - December 15, 2014
- More of Sony’s Spidey plans leak - December 15, 2014
- Old Skywalker talks Star Wars - December 15, 2014
- Kong prequel in 2017, Great Wall movie in 2016 - December 13, 2014
- American Pie duo remaking Japanese horror film - December 13, 2014
- Jennifer Lawrence as a Ghostbuster!? - December 12, 2014
- Sasha Mitchell reprising Kickboxer role - December 12, 2014