The “Riverdale” panel at Comic-Con brought the goods, with a whole bunch of new information about the second-coming, casting and a new trailer.
Season 1 left us on a cliffhanger, with Archie (KJ Apa) and father Fred Andrews (Luke Perry) facing a masked gunman in the diner. After Fred is shot, his life is left hanging in the balance, and we’ll pick up there at season 2. The cast of the second season sees the return of Betty (Lili Reinhart), Veronica (Camila Mendes), Jughead (Cole Sprouse), as well as Alvin Sanders, Madelaine Petsch, Mädchen Amick, Skeet Ulrich, Luke Perry, Molly Ringwald, Casey Cott, Ashleigh Murray, Hayley Law and Asha Bromfield – among others.
Mark Consuelos is joining the regular cast as Hiram Lodge, Veronica’s father, and Brit Morgan and Vanessa Morgan have also been cast. Ross Butler, who played Reggie, is departing the show and his character will be recast.
Collider were on hand for the panel, and relayed a lot of the information available, so be sure to check it out. Here’s some key bits to know:
- The crime and noir storylines will be even more dangerous and some of the mysteries from season 1 will continue
- The humour and friendship elements will still be present, despite the darker vibe
- Cheryl and her crazy family will form a big part of the plot
- We’ll learn more about Amick’s character, Alice Cooper (not the rock star by the way, that’s Betty’s mother)
- The season consists of 22 episodes
- We’ll get to know Josie and the Pussycats more, and their relationships will be tested
- The chemistry between Archie and Veronica will be explored more (WOOHOO!)
- We’ll see a darker side to Kevin — darkness seems to be a theme here
- Veronica and Betty’s friendship will be strained, as a result of the drama and heartbreak
- And as we know, Veronica’s father will return so we’ll see a family reunion. It’ll be interesting to see how that goes down.
ET has the first trailer for season 2, boasting a much darker vibe than the first season. Check it out below:
There’s also a blooper reel to enjoy, if you want to offset the dark vibes with a bit of humour.
Season 2 premieres on The CW October 11th.