Connect with us

Movie News

Game for a Mortal Kombat remake?

Plan to sequelize 1995 film has been scrapped

Caffeinated Clint

Published

on

With Warner Bros the new-owner of Midway’s “Mortal Kombat” (well, every Midway game), it’s probably be no surprise to hear that the water tower’s about to drip out a new film based on the property.

This, the third in the moderately-successful film franchise (following “Mortal Kombat” and “Mortal Kombat : Annihilation”), will be a ‘reboot’, says Bloody Disgusting. In other words, Christopher Lambert need not bother pressing his silver wig, there’ll be a new Rayden on the block.

Writing the script is rising Hollywood newcomer Oren Uziel (“Shimmer Lake”).

My buddy Mink had been attached to direct a third “Mortal Kombat” film (he’s been onboard for quite some time) but I’m not sure he’s onboard this current incarnation.

Last time we spoke to the filmmaker he said the film had been experiencing some trouble garnering coin. It was an independent film at the time (Warner Bros didn’t own the property at that stage) and “as you may have noticed the economy in general is a little sluggish at the moment especially in Hollywood” Mink said. “Indy investors are more cautious at this particular time then recently so it takes longer than ever. MK more than likely will be an Indy film. The film’s projected budget will be between 50& 60 mill so it is a bit more tricky than just running down to the ATM or writing a cashiers check(maybe one of those Jumbo checks like Publisher Clearing House winners). Currently Threshold is working out the financing through a studio and or equity situation. This will take as long as needs to take. I know the frustration this causes the awesome MK fans but that’s the fact Jack….”

Now I don’t know whether Mink is onboard this new incarnation of the film (he’s busy enough with his own projects so it’s not like he’ll be stuck for things to do if he isn’t), but he’ll likely drop us a line overnight to let us know.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Movie News

Sonic going back to the workshop; moves to 2020

Paramount to spend more time perfecting the title character’s look

Ali

Published

on

By

Coming through on it’s promise to spend more time perfecting the title character’s look, Paramount has delayed the “Sonic the Hedgehog” movie until 2020.

After the release of the recent trailer, fans of the SEGA-game freaked on Twitter over the blue animal’s human teeth, calling them “creepy” and “nightmarish.” The filmmakers went into immediate damage control, promising punters they’ll fix the look.

The pic, starring Jim Carrey, is now moving from its November 8 release to February 14, 2020 next year so the blue guy looks better for y’all.

Continue Reading

Movie News

Rocky 7!?

Sylvester Stallone says he has a “great idea” for another “Rocky” film

Ali

Published

on

By

While we’ll unlikely see Creed belting his glove again, Sylvester Stallone says Rocky Balboa isn’t out.

The actor  made the revelation today at the Cannes film festival, where his long career and latest ‘Rambo’ film are under the Croisette’s spotlight.

While ‘Sly’ hints that his participation in the “Creed” franchise might be two and out, the 72-year-old says a seventh “Rocky” film could be on the cards.

“I have a great idea for Rocky. He finds this fella who’s in the country illegally and it becomes a whole thing. It would be really phenomenal, really different”.

“It’s like a magician,” he continued. “Once you’ve seen how he does the tricks you’re not impressed any more. It’s the same thing with Rocky. You’ve seen everything, so you’re like, ‘How can it be different?’ That would be different. When you take him and throw him out of the country and he’s in another world. It could work.” he said.

Stallone didn’t say whether it’d be Balboa, who we last saw in 2018’s “Creed II”, training the immigrant.

The actor had intended for 2006’s “Rocky Balboa” to be the character’s swansong but returned to the role when the idea for the “Creed” films were presented to him.

Stallone was at Cannes to attend a a 4K restoration screening of his groundbreaking actioner “First Blood” and promote its fourth sequel “Last Blood”, which sees the long-suffering vet going up against cartels in Mexico.

“He goes out there and bad things happen,” Stallone said. “There’s going to be some serious vengeance in this movie. A lot of people are going to get killed.”

Continue Reading

Movie News

ICYMI : Christopher Nolan’s new film gets title, full cast

The time-traveling international spy movie stars Robert Pattinson, among others

Ali

Published

on

By

Warner Bros have announced the title and cast of Christopher Nolan’s highly-anticipated new film, due July 17, 2020.
“Tenet”, which has just gone before the cameras, is said to be an action epic that combines the always entertaining elements of international spy missions and time travel.  The man with the megaphone is keeping a tight lid on the plot.
The cast, which includes many Nolan-staples, is headed by John David Washington and also stars Robert Pattinson, Elizabeth Debicki, Dimple Kapadia, Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Clémence Poésy, with Michael Caine and Kenneth Branagh.
Nolan is shooting in the beautiful IMAX format with some 70mm thrown in for good measure.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Like us?

The Latest

Get Moviehole News Updates!

Enter your email address to subscribe to Moviehole and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Exclusives!

At the Movies

Watch

Hot