The Duffer Brothers, creators of “Stranger Things”, have announced a whole slate of new projects with Netflix – one of which is a spin-off of the hit series!
Under their new production company, Upside Down Pictures, the duo will develop new stuff for film and television as part of their overall deal with the streamer.
Hilary Leavitt (”Orphan Black”, ”Ozark”) has been hired to run the company.
According to The Duffer Brothers, Upside Down Pictures will “aim to create the kind of stories that inspired the Duffers growing up – stories that take place at that beautiful crossroads where the ordinary meets the extraordinary, where big spectacle co-exists with intimate character work, where heart wins out over cynicism.”
The Duffer Brothers and Netflix also announced their growing slate of projects in active development:
· An all-new live-action television adaptation of the renowned Japanese manga and anime series Death Note
· An original series from creators Jeffrey Addiss and Will Matthews (Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance)
· A series adaptation of Stephen King and Peter Straub’s The Talisman alongside Steven Spielberg’s Amblin Entertainment and Paramount Television to be created by Curtis Gwinn
· A new stage play set within the world and mythology of Stranger Things, produced by prolific and multi award-winning producers Sonia Friedman, Stephen Daldry (The Crown, Billy Elliot, The Reader), and Netflix. Daldry will also direct. 21 Laps serves as Associate Producer.
· A live-action Stranger Things spin-off series based on an original idea by The Duffer Brothers, with Upside Down and 21 Laps producing.
Very cool line-up!