As far as Harrison Ford is concerned, when the 76-year old actor leaves the mortal coil, that’s also the end of “Indiana Jones”.
The lovable legend told TODAY that there won’t be another actor in the part, when he’s gone, rightly believing nobody would likely accept anyone else as the famed archeologist in the part.
“Don’t you get it? I’m Indiana Jones,” Ford said. “When I’m gone, he’s gone. It’s easy.”
Harrison Ford weighs in on who should be the next Indiana Jones — ‘Nobody’
— Fandom (@getFANDOM) May 24, 2019
In a separate interview Ford, out spruiking his role in the cute-looking “Secret Life of Pets” sequel, said filming is expected to kick off next year on what could very well be the final instalment of the “Indiana Jones” series (as we know it).
It “should be starting to shoot sometime next year” the actor, who originated the role of ‘Indy’ in 1982’s “Raiders of the Lost Ark” tells Variety. “I’m looking forward to it….Things are coming along well.”
While the MacGuffin hasn’t bee announced, an earlier draft of the film by Jake Kasdan involved Indiana on the hunt for a train full of Nazi gold that went missing near the Polish city of Wałbrzych.
Lucasfilm recently tapped Dan Fogelman to come up with the concept of the story.
Though better known for his TV work, Fogleman has written a hefty napsack of movies, including “Cars 2”, “Fred Claus”, “The Guilty Trip”, Danny Collins”, and “Life Itself”, which he also directed.
Steven Spielberg will again direct, with Paramount shipping the film out to theaters summer 2021.
Ford’s always been gung-ho to bring back Jones, telling the BBC in 2016 that as long as Spielberg returns with him, he’ll keep going.
“I’ve always thought there was an opportunity to do another. But I didn’t want to do it without Steven [Spielberg]. And I didn’t want to do it without a really good script. And happily we’re working on both. Steven is developing a script now that I think we’re going to be very happy with.”
Last week Ford helped promote Disneyland’s Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge attraction for its grand opening and summed up the new Millennium Falcon ride as “incredible.”
The ceremony reunited the “Star Wars” actor with his former co-stars, including Mark Hamill.
The reunion I’ve always dreamed of happened yesterday at #GalaxysEdge
Harrison: “Peter- This one’s for you.”
Me (in my thought bubble): “Carrie- You are here with us in our hearts.” ? pic.twitter.com/DexY5nDITj
— Mark Hamill (@HamillHimself) May 30, 2019